Nov 11, 2020
Every American Business Is Under Cyber Attack
Every American organization — in the public and private sector — has been or will be hacked, is infected with malware, and is a target of hostile nation-state cyber intruders, according to Jack Blount, president & CEO at INTRUSION, Inc., and former CIO at the United States Department of Agriculture.
Blount’s assertion is backed up by some of the nation’s top cyberwarfare and cybersecurity experts, and Fortune 500 chief information security officers (CISOs), in a roundtable discussion which recently aired on the Cybercrime Radio podcast channel.
Ten guests joined Blount — offering their insights and concerns for our country and its businesses.
- Alissa “Dr Jay” Abdullah, Ph.D., Senior Vice President & Deputy CISO at Mastercard — “Our company-wide threat briefings tell employees what they’re facing and the steps they can take to protect (themselves).”
- Joe Aiello, Vice President of Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at Teachers Federal Credit Union (not-for-profit, one of the large credit unions in the U.S.) — “Our security perimeter has changed dramatically in a very short period of time… We are challenged with how to keep our security design updated, and how to defend ourselves.”
- Scott Augenbaum, Retired FBI Cyber Division Supervisory Special Agent, author of the book “The Secret to Cybersecurity: A Simple Plan to Protect Your Family and Business from Cybercrime” — “Every victim had one thing in common: they didn’t know what was on their network.”
- Dawn Cappelli, CISSP, VP, Global Security and Chief Information Security Officer at Rockwell Automation — “It is not just the quantity of attacks, but also the sophistication of attacks on operational technologies… Ransomware is capable of killing industrial control systems and other (critical) processes.”
- Chase Cunningham, Principal Security & Risk Analyst, Forrester, author of the book “Cyber Warfare – Truth, Tactics, and Strategies: Strategic concepts and truths to help you and your organization survive on the battleground of cyber warfare” — “We must adopt the adversary’s perspective.”
- Deneen DeFiore, Vice President & Chief Information Security Officer at United Airlines — “Aviation truly operates as an ecosystem with very complex interdependencies, and wrestles with the concept of shared risk.”
- Mark Montgomery, Executive Director at the U.S. Cyberspace Solarium Commission — “Some of the same things we’re recommending today, we were pushing 23 years ago.”
- Theresa Payton, former White House CIO, actress on the TV show “Hunted,” author of the new book “Manipulated: Inside the Cyberwar to Hijack Elections and Distort the Truth” — “Democracy across the globe is at risk because of misinformation and manipulation campaigns.”
- Scott Schober, author of the books “Hacked Again” and “Cybersecurity Is Everybody’s Business,” cybersecurity media personality, cybersecurity inventor — “The cost of ransomware has skyrocketed and that’s a huge concern for small businesses – and it doesn’t look like there’s any end in sight.”
- Teresa Zielinski, CISSP, SVP, Global CISO & Product Security at GE Gas Power — “Ransomware attacks on our safety systems and CISC controllers would be catastrophic and take a long time to recover.”
The roundtable participants — each of whom has deep domain cyberwarfare and cybersecurity experience — share their concerns around the sophistication, intensity, scale, and increasing number of cyberattacks being launched at U.S. businesses of all sizes and in all industries.
This post is provided by our team of security experts here at INTRUSION.
Ready to get protected?
INTRUSION Shield is inexpensive enough to be affordable to every business, large or small. For a small fee per seat, per month – with no annual contract and no hardware to buy – you can get immediate protection.
Get your free report
Simply enter your URL and get a detailed report emailed to you.